Monday, January 31, 2011

The Art of Spliff

A couple years ago most of my friends in San Fran gradually started smoking more and more spliffs. A spliff is a joint rolled with tobacco and marijuana, and is great for those who smoke both, since they are readily available. Initially, I wasn't a fan. I preferred to roll my own joints rather than throw down with my friends on a spliff, because I don't (and never plan to) smoke cigarettes. My move to the east coast, however, has changed my mindset considerably.  I am now convinced that spliffs are actually quite nice, but there is an art:


  • Never more than 50% tobacco. Even that is extremely high in my consideration, and I prefer around 20-30% - if you're stash is running low that's one thing, but try to keep it green.
  • Make sure the tobacco is spread evenly throughout. The tobacco makes it burn more slowly and more evenly, so if there is significantly more tobacco in a particular spot, the paper there will burn unevenly.
  • Use Crutches (filters). Don't worry, you don't have to break anything. Take a business card out of your wallet, tear off a corner, roll it up, and voila: filter. Make sure you put it in the paper before rolling - see video.
  • King Size Papers! Sure, a regular 1 1/4 Zig Zag does the job, but it does the spliff little justice. There is much more potential (longer crutch, more room for error) in a paper that's twice as big.
  • Lastly, learn to roll: Bongosphere approved spliff rolling video - I roll this way myself
(sure hope that isn't weed though - gross)

Maybe you smoke cigarettes, maybe you don't quite have enough bud for a full joint, or maybe you just like a head rush now and then, but either way, remember the spliff.

No comments:

Post a Comment